Tuesday, November 16, 2010

In Retrospect.........



As an Old Broad, I have a mind full of memories (a privilege I cherish until senility creeps in). Certain recollections cause me to wonder how I wandered off the trail.

That's me on the left, above, in a newspaper photo taken in the early 60's in Camp Lowami. I was a Blue Bird in the Camp Fire Girls. The Campfire Girls program (now the more PC Campfire USA) promotes camping and outdoor activities for youth. There. I had a chance to discover my love of the outdoors at a young age. What happened?

Today, I pondered that question when we took a walk in the Lowami Hart Woods, still a tiny island of nature in Beaverton, Oregon remaining from the days of Camp Lowami at this very location.

Perhaps, just as this nature oasis holds out against the neighborhoods pushing at its edges, a tiny seed of passion remained in my brain holding off the "life" that gnawed its edges.

I just wish it hadn't taken so long to sprout.

No comments:

Post a Comment