Monday, February 14, 2011

Roughing It?



One hot July day between my junior and senior years at college, I and a friend naively drove into Yellowstone expecting to get a camping spot. The ranger took pity on us and gave us a little tiny space between actual camping sites because, of course, the campgrounds were stuffed full of people, tents, RVs and vehicles. Our accommodation for the night was the cheapest plastic pup tent I could find. Our sleeping bags were the only cushion between us and the ground.

Last fall, in a nicer tent and cots, Cal and I spent the night in several national parks and monuments. It was a great trip and we saw a lot. But as an Old Broad, I claim the right to be comfortable.

Now we have a middle ground. We still have our trailer but, I'm sorry, RVing is not camping. A tent is great until you have twenty mph winds bending the tent poles nearly to the ground (which we did) and the threat of thunderstorms (we ended up staying in a motel). I also confess that my enthusiasm ebbed one morning when we pulled up the tarp and found two spiders the size of my computer mouse.

The above is our latest effort to still be camping but in comfort and in unpleasant weather. It plops right in the bed of our truck and and folds into a box for transport.

See you out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment